Sunday, July 27, 2014

112. Do you nurture the creativity of your students?

[Posted for  the Kerala University English Teacher Educator’s Forum - KUETEF]

The other day I had been to BEMP  High School, Thalassery to observe the class of a trainee undergoing Practice Teaching. On the walls of the classroom was displayed the following drawing prominently.


The train in the background, not the normal full bogie which is convenient to draw, but  the parts of two bogies, struck me. Can any one but a  creative mind conceive so? After the class, I inquired  who drew it? All fingers pointed to an amiable looking chap who was all smiles. I   asked him what the drawing is about. The children immediately opened their prescribed Hindi Course Book of Standard IX and showed me the following.



Now compare  this black and white drawing with the drawing by the  student. Don’t you think he is creative? Well...he indeed is!
Here are a couple of other drawings  by the little artist displayed on the walls of  his classroom.




                             Here is the talented artist, on request  posing  for me...





It was possible  for me  to know about his  boy only because his teacher, a thoughtful person must have  encouraged him to explore themes, draw and display  it on the walls of his classroom.

The same day, I had been to another school, in Thalassery to observe the class by a trainee. Find  posted below a  drawing  by a trainee on yellow coloured chart paper, based on the   content prescribed for study.


The following Black and White illustration is from the Course Book




I am sure you will agree that the little artist whom I introduced to you in this blog post, Mohammed Alsam,  has superior drawing skills than  Ms Shincy,  my trainee. Perhaps you will also agree that Shincy  has the makings of an artist.

But pause for a moment....
 Ask yourself... do you nurture the  creativity of  the students you teach?


Posted by Dr.C. Praveen
Former Secretary, KUETEF



1 comment: